Open Site Navigation

Travelling to EU countries can take a little extra consideration since Brexit. If you're prepared, you can't go far wrong. Stay in the loop with info from this section.


Travelling to the EU by road could include a few extra documents or checks before setting off. Find out how you can prepare with our EU ground transport expertise.

Car travel.

From 1 January 2021, there are a few changes you should plan for in advance. We've collated expert sources of information and support to keep you connected.


brexit hub passport image

Support hub for post-Brexit travel.

To help you get back to travel with as little disruption as possible, the Brexit Hub is here to help you find solutions and advice to navigate new rules and regs.

​Stretch off your index finger and start scrolling our post-Brexit advice.

Who made it

What it is

Where it goes


The BTA offer an updated Brexit document as new information comes to light.

UK Government

You can renew or replace your adult passport with the official government site.

Post Office

If you're driving abroad you may need an International Driving Permit. Check and obtain it here.

Driving abroad

Check out the site which outlines the rules, requirements and guidance of driving abroad.

Brexit transition site

The latest government news, announcements and support for businesses during the Brexit transition.

Links and documents.

Cross-border travel.

You should prepare for increased delays to border checks at airports and while using Eurostar. It's important for travellers to plan ahead to ensure enough time for any delays during their trip.

If you're travelling to the EU, you'll need to check your passport and plan for any visas and permits.

Take a look at the passport and visa information under this section to help you prepare.


First and foremost, if you need to renew your passport, it's time to bump that to the top of your to-do list. If you're travelling to or around the EU, you'll need to have at least six months, but no more than 10 years left on their passport. We say this because if you've renewed your passport before the previous one expired, extra months might've been added to its expiry date that wouldn't be recognised when travelling to the EU. For countries that are in the EU but not in the Schengen area, entry requirements can vary. Travel to Ireland is subject to separate Common Travel Area arrangements.

For real-time information, check rules country entry and transit rules before your trip travel on the Government website of your destination. In some cases, you'll need to complete pre-travel documents or take tests days before travel.


General business travel will be permitted visa-free for travel to the EU/EEA for a maximum period of 90 days in a rolling 180-day period.

General business travel is permitted visa-free but no standard definition applies across the whole of the EU. This means that some countries may class elements of business travel as “work, which requires a visa. Each of the EU/EEA member states has a different definition of typical activity allowed under business travel, so it’s important to review individual country definitions.

If you're still not sure if you need a visa or other documents, we've teamed up with our partners at CIBT - the largest travel visa company in the world - to offer our customers a tool to quickly and comprehensively outline EU document needs through a simple online assessment. CIBT will provide information on what's needed prior to a trip to ensure travellers comply with requirements and avoid disruption.

To find out if either; you qualify as a business visitor and may travel without a visa/work permit, or if you need a more in-depth consultation with CIBT to discuss your travel plans in more detail - book an assessment below.

From 1 January 2021, UK drivers will require new documentation when travelling by car. Documentation and considerations include:

Travelling by car.

  • International Driving Permit (IDP) when driving or hiring a car. Different permits are available depending upon the country, so travellers should review which permit is required.

  • Travellers will be required to display a GB sticker on your car when driving in the EU/EEA.

  • Green Card for UK car insurance to be applicable in the EU/EEA: If you’re taking your own vehicle, the Green Card (or International Motor Insurance Card) shows that you have the minimum insurance cover needed by law in the country you're visiting.

The UK Government is currently seeking assurances from EU member states that they will recognise the UK photocard driving licence of visiting UK motorists without requiring an International Driving Permit

tiny blue car

European Health Insurance Cards issued before the end of 2020 can still be used until they expire. After that, a new Global Health Insurance Cards will be introduced. Remember to check if you have travel insurance before you travel.


Most mobile operators say that they have no plans to change their mobile roaming policies after Brexit but that could change and you should check with your mobile phone operator.


UK businesses can claim refunds of VAT from EU member states using the existing processes for non-EU businesses. Find out how to make a claim below.

VAT reclaim.

There have been some changes to laws to help protect your rights after Brexit. This means that if your travel is cancelled or delayed, you may still be able to claim a refund or compensation.


covid-19  virus

Take a look at our Covid Hub before you travel.

There are a few lines of red tape for travellers to hop, skip and jump over right now. Brexit poses a few questions but Covid may need some planning for too. Stay prepared before you start your trip with our Covid-19 Hub.